Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Cabin Fever

     This weekend we all decided we should go back to Cinque Terre to get some sun.  We started looking up times when we could catch the train and how long it would take etc etc.  Then our internet goes down.  Surely it has to just be a glitch and it will turn right back on, wrong.  I'd say it stayed out for a good 4 days, talk about torture ha-ha. Anyway we decided we would just chance it and try to make a train around 9:30.  Waking up we were in a mad rush to find the train station and get our tickets.  Of course the train doesn't even leave to 9:53.  Our train ride was 2 hours of constant starts and stop, not great for my motion sickness. Luckily for everyone Ketchup and I took meds and were sedated.   When we got to La Spezia we suddenly realized we had absolutely no idea how to get to Cinque Terre.  Our last trip there API had arranged everything and we just followed behind like cattle.  Thankfully Italian's realize that American's need constant help.  They put a nice little blue "i" everywhere, which stands for information.  We went there got a map and realized we had a 20 minute walk to our ferry. Onward!


   Upon arriving at the boat deck we learned the next one doesn't leave for another 2 hours.  We all come to a consensus that we are all hungry.  Eating in La Spezia is literally one of the most awkward experiences.  The first place we walked in  they starred at us and said nothing.  The same goes for the second place.  The third place we went into, I pointed at a sandwich and just starred at it until she got it for me.  After that we went and ate in the park discussing how extremely awkward that was.  Finally it was time to get on the ferry that took us to the island.
  Immediately we all ran to get the delicious pesto we had the first time. Still as awesome as I remember!  I had heard this beach was a rocky beach, naturally I assumed that meant sand with pebbles in them.  What it actually meant was giant boulders that people lay on.  Thats not weird?  We finally found 6 rocks that were all together and started to lay out.  Of course it starts to get cloudy, and we decide to try to catch a ferry back.  On the way we all wanted a picture.  We asked a loner lady who was sitting on bench, to our surprise she says no.  Thanks?  Lucky for us a nice lady took it for us.  Trying to catch a train back is when it started to get interesting.  We realize the next train leaves in 6 minutes, crap.  We have to try to buy our tickets, find the train, then get on it.  To our surprise we actually made it on the train, then we started to look around and realized that no one was on the train?  As it is about to leave we all literally jump off the train because it is heading to Montoroso....

  Now we have to wait 30 minutes to take the next train.  Everything was pleasant with this train, until some really obnoxious teenagers got on the train.  Our cabin was sleeping peacefully when we are awoken by Golim impersonations. What. The. Hell.  Can't these creatures understand I am sleeping?  For the remaining hour of our trip we all stare at them with disgust.  Then if that is not enough a strange man is sitting across the way from us and will not quit starring.  I know we are adorable, but really?  I had the urge to turn to him and shout BOO, but I controlled myself.  I have never wanted to get home more in my life.  After that awful day we decided to go out to Red Garter and relax.


Cabin Fever:  Sunday I went to the David, which is absolutely amazing.  I pictured a statue the size of me. Of course I was wrong.  It was enormous, I literally had to look up to see it.  Everyone should definitely try to see it!!  After grabbing some lunch I came home right in time.  It started raining, then it even began to hail.  I would like to remind everyone that we have no TV, no internet, and now we are immobile.  This ought to be fun.  We all congregate in the living room to talk about how bored we are, how hungry we are, and what the heck we are going to do if it continues to rain. Talk to each other?  That would be out of the question.  We got so desperate we even looked for board games....no such luck.  We resorted to a jug of wine that we had kept around for a rainy day, what luck!  After that we played the life story game.  Everyone went around the circle and told their life stories, quite entertaining. Then when we were bored of that one we played the first impression game.  This was my favorite.  We just told each other what we thought when we first met them.  Most of our first impression we absolutely wrong.  This added some flavor to the game! The night ended up with a dance party in the living room.   Not a bad night I suppose....

No comments:

Post a Comment