Thursday, June 16, 2011

“The road goes on forever and the party never ends”



I knew today was going to be a wonderful day from the start when we went to the market and the locals were actually nice to us.  They treated us like friends, we even got to try all the fruit they had for free!  The reason I was excited for the day was because that night we had a 4 course meal for pairing foods and wines.  It was at a really nice restaurant ( the waiters  even wore bow-ties).


The first dish that was brought out was Prosciutto and Mozzarella.  At first I was hesitant about eating it, considering it looked like raw bacon.  I some how mustered up the strength to try it, talk about delicious!  With each course we had a wine accompany the meal.  Next came the Pasta al forno con polpette ( Spaghetti and Meatballs).  I would say that was interesting haha.  The meat balls were very different…. But it was okay because we were all feeling the excellent wine!  The third course was Tagliata Di manzo con rucola e grana. In English that means barely cooked steak, which was surprisingly good.  Then I started thinking about it and realized I was eating a raw cow.  I immediately sat down my fork and waited for dessert! The dessert was Torta Mimosa, it was almost like a lemon tiramisu or sponge cake.  It was so delicious, and I didn’t want the meal to end.  But  then it did.


Fortunately for us we had heard about a Beatles cover band playing that night.  Of course I’m down for that, what the guys failed to mention was it was in a really creepy basement bar.  When we got there I actually considered the possibilities of me getting taken by going down in the basement.  It’s okay though, I made it!  It was actually a great bar with a ton of people, in fact you could barely move around. I just love tight spaces!  It was all worth it when the band came out.  They were amazing, not to mention looked pretty similar to the Beatles.  The only thing that was strange was an Italian man head banging to their music,  I guess the music just really moved him?

·      When we just couldn’t handle the crowd anymore we decided to try another bar called Astor.  It is your typical club with strobe lights and Italians!  Luckily there were a ton of our API friends in there,  this made it safe to dance around.  What I mean by that is you can get your grove on without some creepy, handsy, unfortunate looking Italian coming up behind you.  After being in there for awhile, we all decided to go get some air outside.  Immediately a man with a rose came up to us and tried to sell one to us.  Can I just say how obnoxious these people are.  Why would I ever want a rose for myself?  And why would I want one while inside a night club?  Anyway Joseph felt bad for the guy and actually bought a rose (Sucker).

·       
While we were standing around a girl named Allie G approached us.  She told us she was big promoter for Twice, and that she could hook us up if we wanted to go.  There was no convincing needed for this offer.  We all start walking with this girl listening to her life story.  Apparently she came here to study abroad and never left.  Her boyfriend is in Rome and has “swagga” whatever that means?  Upon Arriving in Twice we did get some special treatment which was awesome!  Once there Katie and I had to go to the bathroom. ( usually I would scoff at this idea, but I sucked it up)  In  the entry way of the bathroom I met this girl and we immediately became friends.  She told me how she was on a date with a guy and couldn’t decide  if he was gay or not?  She asked me and Katie to meet him, pretend to be her American friends so she would look cool.  Then tell her if he was straight( thumbs up for yes and thumbs down for no)…hahah.  I gave him a thumbs up! He was a nice guy, good luck girl!


After we left twice we were determined to find the secret bakery.  The secret bakery is one of the only places that is open late and apparently it’s illegal to bake after a certain hour.  This is why it remains a secret.  We set of in search of it, when we got close someone used their nose and literally came right up to the bakery. Wooohooo!! It was so good, home-made doughnuts for the taking.
All of us were fully satisfied and headed home.  On the way home Emily the kind-hearted saw a reallyyyyyy drunk girl and was determined to get the poor girl home.  This girl is the one we saw early dancing with Jersey Shore (Super Classy).  Her friends were of absolutely no help, just as we were about to call a cab for her we look back and she is asleep on the street.  Great.  Then at that very second her sister comes out of nowhere and rudely takes her away, without so much as a thank you. So glad we stopped for her.  Finally we really could go home now.  What a successful night,  I can’t wait to see what Paris has in store for us!


As a side note I just would like to say what happened in our class the next day.  An oven-mit caught on fire and our cake pan bottom fell out.  Coincidence? Possibly….

No comments:

Post a Comment