We are posted up at the Hotel Tiziano ( Home of the world's rudest concierge). It is wonderful besides the front desk, we even have air conditioning here!! Emily and I are determined not to fall asleep ( we have been up for 30 hours now) so we decide to go roam around Rome( Shout out to Katie and Megan). This would be a great idea, if either of us knew a thing about Rome. We manage to find our way to the Piaza Navona then manage to get lost for about 2 hours haha. We are anxiously awaiting the arrival of the other part of our group; Katie and Megan. We realize that they should have been here 2 hours ahead of us, the front desk says they haven't checked in yet. Naturally I approach the situation calmly. I then proceed to buy internet to tell my mom to call Katie's dad because she's missing.... That might have been jumping to conclusions. Better safe than sorry! Turns out she had been there all along sleeping in her room, who knew?!
After that whole fiasco we decide to go out determined not to fall asleep before an acceptable hour. At this point we do exactly what are mothers tell us not to do; go out drinking in a foreign country! After great pizza and a couple bottles of wine we decide to try to find our way home. It consisted of Emily( The responsible one) asking 7 different Police Officers direction to our hotel. With her savvy sense of direction and a little bit of luck we managed to find our hotel, thank goodness. Goodnight for now Rome!
Day 2: After our evening out we all agreed to get up at 8:30 and get some breakfast. When in reality we got up at 11:30 thanks to a rude call from the front desk demanding we move rooms. I was so disorientated when I answered the phone I thought it was some kind of sick joke. We had approximately 10 minutes to get presentable and pack our bags! That was a lot of fun. When we finally get moved in to are new room, the last members of our party had gotten in! With Ashley and Katie here we were all ready to go site-seeing once again. We decided to stop at this L'insalata (Salad) Ricca place for lunch. I myself detest salad for a meal, but being with 5 other girls what are you going to do? It was acceptable for a Salad place.
The next stage of the journey was to the Pantheon and Spanish Steps. I would just like to say that Rome is absolutely beautiful and full of so much history. I wonder what appeal America has after being here. Needless to say the sights were amazing. My perception of things will definitely be changed forever.
The Spanish Steps were extremely crowed. Don't get me wrong they were beautiful, but after being there for 5 minutes I had the urge to punch everyone in a 3 foot radius of me. Did I mention that every 10 feet some strange Italian man would try to sell me a fake prada purse or a bubble machine? I have to wonder what would make them think I would ever want a bubble machine. Do I look 5 to you? Probably. Anyway after the Spanish Steps we get lost again. Surprise Surprise. It is actually kind of fun to get lost, that is how we found some great restaurants!
Lucky for us API was providing dinner that night. It was the most amazing meal I have ever eaten, Italians sure know how to cook! We had Melon, Bruschetta, grilled veggies, gnocchi, baked zetta, and of course tiramisu for dessert. Just to let everyone know, wine is present at every meal. Water if we feel like splurging. Once we finished we decided to call it a night, Buono la notte Rome!
Day 3: Today was a very busy day! We have scheduled tours with API all day long. Starting off the day we went on a walking tour through Rome. We saw sights like the Piazo Fiori, Piazo Navona, Pantheon, and Trevi Fountain. The guide was extremely knowledgeable and gave great insight on the monuments. The Trevi Fountain is the most amazing place I have ever seen. It is this beautifully carved marble fountain the size of a building. Legend is if you throw a coin over your shoulder you will get to return to Rome someday! After all this we took a tour to the Colosseum. It was awesome, so much history in one place!! When we were getting ready to leave we decided to try to go to the Forum. Of course it starts pouring rain so we seek shelter in a nearby restaurant. At this point we are all exhausted and need to take a nap before the evening festivities begin!
Once 8:30 rolls around we are up and ready to go! Some of our guy friends on the trip decide to join us for the evening. We end up eating at this pizzaria called "Pizzaria da baffetto". Literally y'all the best pizza I have ever eaten in my entire life! We are two wine pitchers down when leaving our little restaurant and we see the owner. Convinced we have to get a picture with this cute old man we approach him. He is more than delighted to poise with us!! After getting our sacred picture we are on the hunt for a bar/ disco-tech.
Thats when Sloppy's came into our lives. Their slogan was "classy in the front, sloppy in the back". Immediately we all knew we stumbled upon the right place. We start off the night with just some drinks, Then we spot from across the bar something called the Exotic Beer Pitcher. The most magical drink ever! Perfect for the whole table, we even consider challenging the Canadians sitting to our right to a drink off. After a couple of round of pure deliciousness we decide to travel to a new place. We run in to some fellow API members who are going to the disco-tech, of course we follow them. Here is just a little hint no one ever knows where they are going, don't follow the other Americans, they will get you lost in Rome. Lucky for us a huge guy with an afro told us about his bar right by our hotel. We get to Studio 18 and realize it is all Americans ( Hallelujah!!)
We hang out here for awhile then realize it is time to go home, we have a busy day tomorrow! Once we got back to our hotel for some reason we thought it would be a good idea to have a dance party? We spent about an hour dancing teaching each other various Bernie techniques, all very relative. Finally we pass out and prepare ourselves for tomorrow!
After our little adventure the score would be : Rome- 1 API Party of 8 -0
Lauren I am loving your blog! LAO just informed me of how absolutely amazing of a blogger you are and I immediately decided I have to start from the beginning and read every single one of your posts! (well maybe not all in one sitting) Funny enough we did our blogs in the same set up and I just got back from traveling around Europe for the semester! It's weird hearing about Rome since I've been there now. We went to the baffetto pizza place twice while we were in Rome! I'm glad you are having an amazing time and I can't wait to keep reading!!!
ReplyDelete