Monday, May 23, 2011

This is your final boarding call...

    The day has come!  Emily and I board our plane in Lubbock where the real adventure is about to begin.  We start off the day with Emily forgetting her phone in her mom's purse on the other side of security, great omen right? Ha-ha, well we finally board our plane and are heading to Houston!  From Houston we have our 8 hour flight to London; this is where things start to get weird.  They turn off the lights in the plane at about 8:00 p.m our time, and when they turn them back on it’s around 7:00 A.M London time.  They just expect us to bounce right back up and act like it is the morning, when really it is like 12:00 a.m. Lubbock time!

       After getting to London Emily and I have 1 hour to make it to our gate, totally attainable right? NO.  We end up going to the wrong terminal (as directed by our ticket) only to find out we should have stayed in the terminal where we landed!  The trolley ride took about 15 minutes each way.  When Emily and I  finally get back on the trolley to take us back to Terminal 5, we have 20 minutes before our gates close.

                                                            Panic mode starts here. 

 When the trolley finally stops we have 10 minutes to get past security, customs, and find our gate.  At this point we get off  and literally start sprinting in the airport, yes we were those people.  Did I mention we were both wearing 40 lbs backpack?  Anyway, we finally make it to security and we have 5 minutes left.  Of course I get stopped to get checked.  I had left a can of Ginger Ale in my back.  Now they have to completely search my bag and look at every single item.  Emily has already finished going through security, so I tell her to go on without me.  (I feel like I'm in a drama film by the way I tell her to "Just go, leave me here, I'll make it!)   So after this plump security man takes his sweet precious time going through my bag, I have 2 minutes.  I am literally in a dead sprint, pushing old people, young people, really anyone that was in my way.  I see the gate and I see Emily.  Everyone has basically already boarded and we just make it on the plane...

                                             Welcome to Europe Ladies and Gentleman.

1 comment: